+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I think My Bearded Dragon is impacted please help!

I think My Bearded Dragon is impacted please help!

Hi can anyone tell me how to help my beardie. He's about 8 months old and hasn't pooped in about 3 weeks. I have been giving him daily soaks and massaging his belly, tried a dropper of apple sauce and a small drop of olive oil on a piece of kale but no sucess. Tonight I was rubbing his abdomen and i felt a hard lump . I am going to call the vet tommorrow. I would have taken him in but he seemed ok other than no poops .I am a little short on cash after spending $200 to save my 6 week old baby bunny, so if anyone has any suggestions that might save me from a large vet bill it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! I am new to the forum.

Sorry I dont know much about lizards but did read you could feed it summer squash baby food (stage one) with a little olive oil or apple sauce (no added sugar). I dont know how true this is but it's an idea for you to look into. What are you using for substrate & hows the Humidity?

aspen and the temp is 80

Tetris Champion!
    The temps should be a bit higher (near 100) as a hotspot for proper digestion. What has it been eating in terms of greens and insects? In my experiences, superworms tend to cause constipation. If you're feeling a hard spot, definitely take it to a vet that's experienced with reptiles. CareCredit helps with finances and you can have "same as cash" for 6 months if you pay the bill in that time frame.

My dragon suffered from constipation for a while. I raised temps, gave it daily baths and belly massages and it eventually "went to the bathroom". Good luck.
    0.1.0 '07 Python regius (Ball Python)
    1.0.0 '07 Pantherophis guttatus (Amenalistic Cornsnake)
    1.0.0 '09 B.c.imperator (Hypo Hogg Sunset Cross)
    0.1.0 '10 Epicrates c. cenchria (Brazilian Rainbow Boa)
    0.2.0 '06 Pogona vitticeps (Bearded Dragons)
    0.2 Canis Lupus Familiaris (Daschund and English Bulldog)
    1.0 Betta splendens

http://www.exoticserpents.webs.com

I raised the temp with two basking lights today . I have been giving him soaks twice a day for about 30 minutes and massaging his belly. I was giving him Kale, Bearded dragon food, strawberrys,grapes,kiwi,peas,carrot,green beans and super worms. Today I tried gatoraide and babyfood- prunes but i could only getting him to take small licks. I even tried making him mad and he held his mouth shut tight! I have a vet appt in the morning. Thanks!

Well xrays indicated an impaction and they put Elliot on flagyl and Lactulose. He wasn't very happy when they gave him his first dose but he was a good boy throughout the whole vet visit. Suprisingly he sat on the table and never once tried to run! When I got home he was pretty cold so I put him under his basking light and Sucess One large Stink Pickle! Never thought I would be this happy to see that... Hehehehe

Tetris Champion!
    Congrats! Be careful with too many fruits (sugar content) and superworms (shell may cause constipation). Sounds like your dragon isn't a picky eater. Great job.
    1.0 Betta splendens

Well guys after $150 at the vets last week my dragon is back to acting the same again,refusing to eat anything. I gave him some more lactulose today and syringe fed him some strawberry /kiwi gatoraide. I have three basking lights on him and a heat emitter and the temp currently reads.113 .I just moved one of the basking lights off him and he moved over to the other side of the cage. Any suggestions??? I am at a loss and I might have to find a new home for him because obviously I am doing something wrong and i don't want him to die.

Tetris Champion!
    Okay, let's calm down and work this out It's obvious you really care about your beardie and I'm sure we can correct this problem. Do you have a temp gradient of 90's (hot) to 80 (cool) with a hot spot of around 100-115? Are your lamps on all night long (can disturb sleep pattern)? If so, ceramic or infared lights (red) work well 24 hours a day.

Try switching your beardie to newpaper (unshredded) as a substrate for now. Could be that it is ingesting some of the aspen. Try to stay away from fruits, except for a treat once in a while. They have high sugar content. Also, spinach is a calcium blocker and too much broccoli and kale can affect Vitamin D processing. Stick to turnip greens, mustard greens, green and red leaf lettuce, green beans... (iceberg lettuce and celery have no nutritional value).

Do you have UVA/UVB lighting? Remember that these bulbs should be changed every year.

For insects, one of my beardies had constipation problems with superworms. I feed gut-loaded crickets and a live pinky once a month for the fat and water content. When available, I feed them a tomato horn worm or two. The large ones have lots of water content and are the equivalent of 20 crickets. My dragons find them irresistable.

Good luck!
    1.0 Betta splendens

+ Reply to Thread